02 March 2009

Thank You, Orkut!

Those who use it regularly, swear by it. Those who don't, just can't stop finding faults with it. Thats Orkut for you. One line that suits perfectly for this site is "You either love it or hate it; but you can't just ignore it." The general opinion of the public (read parents & moral policing brigade) about Orkut is not good. Youngsters are forever hooked onto this networking site and while away their time by constanly chatting with friends or participating in community forums. This addiction weans them from studies and other activities. Therefore, the parents especially, feel that Orkut is dangerous. The recent events highlited in the media regarding some teenagers being victims of attrocious crimes at the hands of their "Orkut friends" has only re-inforced this notion.
But then, I tend to disagree. I have always found Orkut highly useful in may ways. I have got several rare-to-find songs from song sharing communities and read numerous interviews of Sachin Tendulkar in his fan club community which I, otherwise, would have probably missed. Not to mention the enormous way in which Orkut was beneficial for the knowledge that I shared and acquired in IIT-JEE aspirants' groups. And, then of course, I get to remain in touch with my old friends. Some of them have even shifted to other countries, but still, they are just one scrap away.
And I'll be forever indebted to Orkut for one thing more than others and that is I got to interact with my favourite star through this net-working site. (Well, I must admit that I am lucky because, generally, famous actors & film personalities don't interact with fans on social networking sites. But then, Satish Rajwade has always been an exception, or rather, I should say 'exceptional'; I have been, I am and will always be his biggest fan.) Interacting with him and his fellow-fans has given me friendships I am gonna treasure for life. That I get to talk with The Satish Rajwade is an honour in itself. To top it all, being 'his friend' is something for which I still pinch myself often to make sure I am not imagining all this. A couple of his other fans have become one of my best friends ever. Bonds were formed even without meeting one another. And they will be cherished for years to come.
For those numerous songs, videos, inteviews and pictures; for those questions and answers; for being able to retain those age-old friendships; and for those that were born, nurtured, evovled and cherished in this site (including that with my hero), I say, over and over again -
Thank You, Orkut...!

2 comments:

iola said...

orkut....my 1 n only addiction..fun,info,entertainment & frnds ...all a click away. Indeed thnk u orkut!

ulhasbhide said...

“Bonds were formed even without
meeting one another. And they will be
cherished for years to come.”

………………. agadee manatala lihila aahes.
100 % agree

Post a Comment